NEWCASTLE residents opposed to the state government's amended planning guidelines that would increase the city's skyline limit are not going to back down.
The Newcastle Inner City Residents Alliance is intent on fighting the proposals, which would allow residential buildings as high as 19 storeys.
Spokesman Brian Ladd said there were major concerns about the proposals released by the Department of Planning and Infrastructure.
"Everything about it is excessive," he said. "The area should not have high-rise buildings.
"I think the precinct should be compared to The Rocks in Sydney. Both are significant heritage areas."
At last Tuesday's Newcastle City Council meeting Greens councillor Therese Doyle's motion to extend a public exhibition period of the planning laws was defeated.
The state government had opened public submissions for 16 days.
The initial release of the planning guidelines in 2012 received 420 public submissions, and new amendments have been strongly opposed.
"The proposals put to people earlier this month [March] have not involved residents in the city," Mr Ladd said.
"Consultation has been with developers and not residents."
A delegation from the alliance met with Newcastle MP Tim Owen last Friday to find out more about the developments.
The alliance is calling for more time for public submissions. Mr Ladd said 16 days was not enough time.
"We are not opposed to development," he said.
"We would have supported the original 2012 [Local Environment Plan].
"We do want to see the revitalisation of the city centre but we are alarmed at the excessive and inappropriate amendments to the 2012 development plans.
"Newcastle has a unique skyline, appearance and character and that should not be destroyed."