BUILDING heights across the city have decreased after the state government reviewed the results of its community consultation sessions over new planning controls.
The state government's urban renewal plans allow for an additional 10,000 jobs and 6000 homes to be created in the city centre by 2036 by cutting rail lines and building several new skyrise apartments blocks.
The new controls announced last week mean the height limit on the old David Jones car park site will be lowered from 69.5 metres to 58.9 metres.
The height limit for the proposed building on the corner of King and Newcomen streets has risen slightly to the same height, up from 58.5 metres.
Minister for Planning Pru Goward said building heights would no longer exceed the height of the parapet of the Christ Church Cathedral nave.
Another two community forums on the CBD revitalisation were held over the weekend - the first involving 100 randomly selected residents and the second including representatives from community groups.
Newcastle Inner City Alliance (NICRA) spokesman Brian Ladd described the latest consultation session as a "phoney exercise".
"There was too much talk from the organisers," he said.
"They've already made up their mind on what they want for the city."
He said NICRA would only support good development for the CBD.
On the Friday night, NICRA held a forum on the changes with about 300 people attending.
Building heights were the crowd's major focus, with them still wanting the state government to abide by the 2012 Urban Renewel Strategy height limits of about seven storeys.