A GROUP of Newcastle businesses have turned the flatpack nightmare into a sport and all for a good cause.
This month, 14 businesses joined forces with Property Solutions 101 to participate in a charity competition to raise funds for Got Your Back Sista. The challenge was to see who could put together a flatpack storage unit the fastest.
Property Solutions 101 director Kylie Frearson said the challenge, held on November 8, was a huge success.
“It just shows that it only takes a small idea and the open minds of local businesses to raise money for charity,” Ms Frearson said.
“When we first floated the idea there were a few confused people, but the feedback from yesterday was that everyone had a great time, were thrilled to support Got Your Back Sista and thoroughly enjoyed getting out of the office for a little bit of fun and silliness.”
However, Ms Frearson has alleged her flatpack was “sabotaged”
“It’s the only reason we could have come last,” she said.
With 18 businesses donating money, the event raised $9,000, as well as the $1500 of furniture, which is also being gifted to the charity.
Founder of Got Your Back Sista, Melissa Histon, said she loved the idea of the challenge.
“It was great way to have businesses donate to charity, in a way that’s thinking outside of the box – in this case, the flatpack box,” Ms Histon said.
“We’re always surprised by the creative ways individuals and businesses in the Hunter region choose to support Got Your back Sista. And as always, we’re really grateful.”
The local business people who participated in the 2018 PS101 Challenge included:
· Property Solutions 101 - Kylie Frearson & Siobhan Ferguson
· The Marketing GP - Kylie Screen & Tarin Cromarty
· Frontline - Grant Maloney & Mel Flavell
· Bell Partners Wealth Creation – Alex Herbert & T’Kia Gresham
· Evolution Advisers - Kylie Colloras & Claudina Kruk
· Hyperweb - Brendan Brooks & Wade Haywood
· Hunter Plastic Surgery Amber Moncrieff & Lily Wang
· St George James Petryk & Jye Smith
· Backyard Grannys Alex Mitchell & Daniel Carman
· performHR - Johanna Fink & Sarah Noonan
· Monica Clare - Hayley Hutchinson & Carla Hiles
· Jenkins Legal - Sally Davies & Michael Volschenk
· LJ Hooker - Tegan Kleinman & Greg Frearson
· Capital Claims - Kylie Waddingham & Kylie Hearne
Got Your Back Sista is a Hunter-based charity that has a vision to see women and their children happy, thriving and living independently after escaping the trauma of domestic violence.