Hunter New England Health's list of Newcastle venues a COVID-19 case visited expands

Health authority's list of virus visited Newcastle venues expands

Hunter New England Health has expanded its list of Newcastle venues to avoid following a second confirmed coronavirus case on Thursday.

The health authority is urging anyone who attended the following venues at the specified times to immediately self-isolate and seek testing:

  • Bennett Hotel, Hamilton - Friday, July 31 between 5.30pm and 10pm
  • Bar 88, Wests New Lambton - Sunday, August 2 between 5pm and 7.15pm
  • Sydney Junction Hotel, Hamilton - Saturday, August 1 between 11pm and 1.15am on Sunday, August 2

The venues have been notified and are undergoing cleaning. Contact tracing is underway.

HNEH also urges any patrons who visited the following venues at the times specified to be alert for symptoms, and if any develop to get tested and self-isolate immediately:

  • Greenroof Bar and Restaurant, Hamilton - Friday, July 31 between 10.30pm and 12.15am
  • Sushi Revolution, Hamilton - Saturday, August 1 between 12pm (noon) and 12.45pm
  • Queens Wharf Hotel - Saturday, August 1 between 9.30pm and 11pm
  • McDonald Jones Stadium - Sunday, August 2 from 7.30pm to the end of the Newcastle Jets match

HNEH is urging anyone who attended St Pius X High School in Adamstown on Monday, August 3 to be on the lookout for COVID-19 symptoms and get tested immediately should any respiratory symptoms or fever occur.

The school has been notified and will be closed to allow contact tracing and thorough cleaning to occur.

A male teenager, a student of the school, was on Wednesday confirmed to have COVID-19.

He caught the Number 26 school bus (Hamilton to Adamstown) on Monday 3 August, at 8.20am. All people on the bus at the time the teenager was will be required to isolate for 14 days and seek testing.

He is also a team member of the Newcastle Jets under 15's representative squad that played a soccer match against the Stanmore Hawks at Arlington Oval in Dulwich Hill on Saturday, August 1. The teenager's team mates and the members of the opposing team are considered close contacts and will be required to isolate for 14 days.

All close contacts of the teenager will be notified and required to isolate for 14 days.

Dr Kat Taylor, public health controller for HNEH's COVID-19 response, said that the health authority is still working to identify any further contacts or venues visited by either of the two confirmed cases - the teenager and his relative.

"It is vital people in the community continue to present for testing if experiencing symptoms to limit the spread of the virus," Dr Taylor said.

"I encourage everyone to follow directions they receive about home isolation and quarantine, and maintain COVID-safe practices of physical distancing, coughing or sneezing into their elbow, and regularly washing their hands."

HNEH is urging anyone who visited the following venues to strictly isolate at home for 14 days from the date below and be on the lookout for COVID-19 symptoms. This follows confirmation of a confirmed Sydney case visiting Newcastle on July 29 and 30 while infectious:

  • Hotel Jesmond on Wednesday, July 29 between 7pm and 9pm
  • Wallsend Diggers on Wednesday, July 29 AND Thursday, July 30 between 9pm and 11pm
  • Lambton Park Hotel on Thursday, July 30 between 8pm and 9pm

HNEH's advice if you have visited these venues is remain in isolation for the full 14 days even if your initial test is negative. If you do develop COVID-19 symptoms, you should be retested.

If you attended these venues after these times, you are at lower risk so you do not need to isolate, however, please look out for symptoms and get tested immediately if you develop any, even if mild. These venues have now been thoroughly cleaned and so there is no ongoing risk.

A Sydney visitor who attended Toronto Court House (drug court) on Monday, July 27 between 7am and 2pm has tested positive for COVID-19.

The visitor stayed at a private residence and all of his close contacts have been identified and are in isolation, so there is no ongoing risk to the community.

As a precaution, anyone who attended the Toronto Court House at those times should be alert for any symptoms and should even the mildest symptoms develop, they must self-isolate and seek urgent testing for COVID-19.