Seven new COVID-19 cases confirmed as hospitality workers urged to wear masks

Premier Gladys Berejiklian with NSW Chief Medical Officer Dr Kerry Chant at the morning's COVID-19 press conference. Picture: Nine News
Premier Gladys Berejiklian with NSW Chief Medical Officer Dr Kerry Chant at the morning's COVID-19 press conference. Picture: Nine News

NSW Health authorities have confirmed there were seven new COVID-19 cases confirmed overnight as hospitality workers are again urged to wear masks.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said health authorities remained concerned about the amount of community transmission in western and south-western Sydney.

"As has been reported, we still have 15 or 16 cases in the last six weeks that are part of the same strain, that don't have a confirmed source as to where the virus was acquired," she said in a morning press conference.

"For that reason we are really encouraging people in south-western and western Sydney to come forward and get tested.

"Anytime any of us leave the house, especially if we live in western and south-western Sydney, we have to assume we have been exposed to the virus, and we have to make that assumption every day."

Ms Berejiklian urged hospitality workers in cafes, restaurants, hotels and clubs to wear masks for their own safety and the safety of patrons.

She said there had been a good take-up of people in the industry wearing masks, and thanked those who had, whilst encouraging more workers to do the same.

"NSW continues to hold the line and reduce the spread as much as possible," she said.

There were seven cases of COVID-19 diagnosed in the 24 hours to 8pm on Tuesday night, bringing the total number of cases to 3777.

There were 19,414 tests reported in the 24-hour reporting period, compared with 13,736 in the previous 24 hours.

Of the new cases, two are returned travellers in hotel quarantine which includes one from overseas and one from Victoria.

Five are locally acquired, including one who is a close contact of a previously reported case whose source is still under investigation; one case is from south-western Sydney whose source is currently under investigation, and one case is a household contact of this case.

One case is from western Sydney whose source is currently under investigation, and one case is a household contact of this case.

NSW Chief Medical Officer Dr Kerry Chant urged people in south-western and western Sydney to not wait and instead get tested on the first day of their symptoms.

Dr Chant said as had been reported previously, a case of COVID-19 worked at Flemington Markets while infectious.

She said NSW Health was now advising that anyone who attended Flemington Markets on August 9 between 8am to 4pm; August 11 between 10.30pm to 6am on August 12; and August 12 between 10.30pm to 01:40am on August 13 should monitor for symptoms, self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 if symptoms appear.

Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support

Subscribe to our newsletters

.

This story Seven new COVID-19 cases confirmed as hospitality workers urged to wear masks first appeared on Illawarra Mercury.